Saturday, May 10, 2008

Jessica and Ryan's Wedding

Jessica and Ryan made plans to have their wedding at the Memphis Zoo. If you haven't been, it is a great facility and it provides an incredible backdrop for a wedding. This day, however, was really challenging. Not only did the Zoo host Jessica and Ryan's wedding but another as well AND a High School prom! Did I mention that it was membership drive day too!?! There were a million people swarming around the entrance to the Zoo when I arrived and the weatherman's prognostication for rain looked to be dead on.

I met with Jessica and we made some hasty changes to the location of her formal session and I'm so glad that we did. (There were dozens of moms with strollers running about the courtyard). Now I know that you might hear me say how pretty each of the brides I photograph are (and they all are beautiful on their wedding day without doubt) but Jessica was just gorgeous this day. Her eyes are this incredible, brilliant blue and they just "pop" when lit.

Just prior to the ceremony a few drops began to fall and the decision was made to move the planned outdoor wedding inside the Cat House. By the time the ceremony was complete, storm clouds had begun to build and I knew that we had only a few moments before we would face the worst. So, time was against us and, to compound the issue, the skies had already darkened; no one looks their best when photographed in the dark!

In a mad dash, I grabbed Jessica and Ryan and bolted for the courtyard. There we made a series of photos with me employing a liberal (quite liberal for being hand-held) use of shutter drag to capture the ambient light behind them. Shortly after we'd begun this series, sheets of rain began to assail us and we were trapped with no where to go to photograph the family formals! The family looked to me for an answer and I wasn't sure where to go.

Standing under one of the overhangs in the courtyard I spotted the zoo tram stop some 30 yards away and I said, "Let's just try it". What an insanely wild time we had! Lightning crackled through the sky and sheets of rain blew from every direction. The tram stop was only large enough to support my assistant, myself and two or three family members. With some quick thinking and portable lighting, I managed to capture the photos you see here. The Zoo staff was OUTSTANDING! They ushered each family member under shelter of an umbrella to and from the Cat House to the tram stop until we finished with all the family photos. Hats off to them!!!

Well, I was soaked by the end of it all but my equipment remained dry and, most importantly I managed to captured the event for Jessica and Ryan without letting them down.

Thank you Jessica and Ryan for one of the most memorable (and dangerous) weddings I've ever shot!

No comments: